Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 69, Oct. 25







I am not, not, not going to give up on this. Even if no one reads it because my posts are so sporadic, it is good discipline for me to put up work when I can. I just don't know what is wrong with me...it this just normal
aging? Now one of knees, the better one actually, has developed bursitis, and I've been limping around on a cane, sleeping in a recliner, and generally nursing myself back to whatever I was before this episode.

I have been making it to most of my figure classes (I've posted a few studies donein class), and also, I happened to receive two little commissions, so I am working on those as much as I can.

OH! There is some important news: the rabbi who helped me plan my trip to Israel for the project has asked me to be on his local TV interview show about the paintings. So I finally got up the courage and set a date for late in January to record the show, and I DO WANT TO HAVE ONE MORE large painting to bring with me then.

Today I completed the first commission: an exact copy of a charcoal drawing that a woman had done in the 60's of herself and her sister. She wants her sister to have one as well, and since there was only one drawing...she hired me to make a duplicate!
I think I did OK. It was a weird assignment, but actually I think I learned some stuff about doing the head in charcoal. The artist who did the original was pretty damn good, I think. He must have done hundreds. They got it at a big flower show in Phila. Anyway, I am posting the original and my copy so you can see. Of course the original is the one with the glare of the glass of the frame.

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading! :) These figure drawings look great to me. Sorry to hear abour your knee -- feel better Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joanie,
    i really like the sketches. i love the power in the strokes and the selected colors. these are to me very powerful images. keep on going. creating something is very difficult, because one has to reach inside. i have always loved the stuff that you do that appears almost impressionistic and done with attention to the overarching gist of the matter. i also think you captured that in the stones that grace my living room. there is something so alive and almost fleshy about them and at the same time it is so abstract.
    thanks for keeping me in the loop and feel better. i have joined a gym in the suburbs, have a personal trainer twice weekly and started to swim again. i have blue goggles and restore myself in my blue world. i am very fortunate that for the first time i have enough help with yossi and can actually build this into my life. all my love, ursula

    ReplyDelete