Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 7

Short blog today. I had to take some pictures down from the wall in the bird feeder store (a little art show I had of bird paintings), none sold. They were up there for two months.

Then I gave a private beginner's drawing lesson in my house (odd, you may think, that she gives lessons when she is just learning to draw!), but as it turns out, I have done everything somewhat backwards in this career. I have been teaching beginners' art classes for a few years, and it turns out that I am a pretty good teacher. I would not call myself an advanced artist, but the basic concepts of drawing, watercolor, etc. are not that difficult to convey to students and I really do LOVE the teaching. I study a lot of how to art books and take courses to get ideas for curriculum. It doesn't hurt that I have a master's in art too. I'm embarrassed to tell this, since I am no where near at a master's level, but I was lucky to get into a program because the program was so new, that it needed students pretty badly. I won't mention where. I did it to make myself paint, since I was not inclined to do so naturally...always found it very frustrating...but that is another story. I had just days before starting the master's program, taken an early retirement from a social work position in a men's prison. I was eager for a career change and looking for something I could do into old age.

Anyway, I gave a private lesson today, and then had to go to a focus group meeting at the school where I teach a couple of short classes each session, the Brookfield Craft Center, This is a committee that is meeting to help improve the financial health of the center. So it was a full day for me, and NEVER would I have done any art work today if not for this blog. But ...
I had promised something every day, to myself and the blog, and so, I did the re-drawing of the glider. Here it is. I think it is improved, but still could have used more time and patience. I did it without a ruler. Maybe I'll do it again with sharper pencils and go slower.

Certainly no Israel work today. Not much in the health department either.

No comments:

Post a Comment